Whatever. The end result of this switch: I needed a new bag with separate pockets for phone and keys so my keys don't, duh, scratch up my phone! An added bonus: it should be large enough to hold Rowdy's baby basics, but small enough so I don't knock over adult men (my old diaper bag is the size of a guitar case). And since I'm never happy with bags off the shelf, I decided to make one.
After a few days of obsessive pattern searching (free patterns of course), I settled on this one, which shows how to make the cute-as-a-button diaper bag below:
A few alterations, like decreasing the overall size since I wanted a handbag more than a diaper bag, plus a week of maniacal sewing ...
One side largely follows the pattern, an angled pocket and pleated tall pocket cased with elastic. Just right for a bottle (or other miscellany since I don't own any bottles!). The reverse side, however, diverged from the pattern a wee little bitsie.
Mary Logue. She intended I use it for hooking, and I will use the rest for hooking, but it was just too yummy not to include in this bag. It was also used in the appliqué.
Finally, I completely ignored the pattern's button closure, because I'd snipped a bunch of gorgeous bone and leather frogs off an old sweater. Finally, a perfect use!